Yasmine's Blog Yasmine's RSS Feed for her blog Yasmine's ATOM Feed for her blog Yasmine on Twitter Yasmine on YouTube Zazzle Store Yasmine on Google Plus Yasmine on Good Reads Yasmine on Facebook

Life on the Fringe: The Caffeinated Ramblings of Author Yasmine Galenorn

Let’s Get Serious About Food Allergies: Part 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 9 pm by

Meat and Vegetable Image

Edit to Add: We found out today (11/8/12) that the coffee syrup I was using heavily had DAIRY ALLERGENS in it–go figure. But that didn’t do me ANY favors. Hint: READ EVERY LABEL if you have food allergies. EVERY LABEL.

In continuing from my last blog on this issue, here we go again.

So yesterday, I had another reaction, pretty much like the first but worse because it included hives on my face. Delightful. I’d cut out everything I checked out allergic to on my last tests, so something is fucked up in my body. I took the last Prednisone tablet I had and it stopped it, so it’s a matter of helping it recede now.

But here’s the kicker: the blood we took? Lab says we can’t use it because I was just coming off Prednisone. And since I took one today, that means I have to wait four weeks to get tested because the medication throws the results off. Oh, how much fun are we having now?

I talked to my doctor for a good forty-five minutes today and we outlined a plan. For the next four weeks, I’m on the most stringent allergy elimination diet I can be on, meaning I get (and remember, I have to be low carb, so this does not include rice, which is usually on there):

• green vegetables I did not test out allergic to last time
  • tomatoes (had no reactions to those)
  • small portions sweet potato or squash
  • lamb, buffalo, venison, turkey, duck
  • olive oil
  • rendered duck fat
  • lots of water
  • If I still want my caffeine (and I do) I need to cut down the amount a little, and drink my espresso straight. And since I hate the taste of coffee and espresso straight, there is no question I’ll be cutting down a little.

Essentially, I’m going hardcore cavewoman/Paleo here. One thing is for sure: any weight loss plateau I might have been on will be blown out of the water by this. It’s not going to be easy, but hell, anything to NOT have another reaction like this. And of course, I now carry my epi-pen and wear my medic alert bracelet everywhere.

Meanwhile, to deal with the tail end of this reaction, she’s having me increase my Isocort (adrenal supplement I need because my adrenals are very unappy campers over the years), increase my Vitamin D (which I’m always deficient in anyway), and increase my Vitamin C. I’m also on Histablock. Considering how badly a lot of medications affect me, we don’t want to stick me back on the Pred. because next time it might just screw me over in a big way.

Speaking of…my doctor told me that the dosage of Prednisone that Urgent Care had me on was so fucking high that it was the equivalent to 20 days worth of my adrenal supplements (for each of the four days I stayed on it). NO WONDER I was a fucking frootloop and went on a manic high. And they’re supposed to taper you off the pred—which this doctor didn’t bother doing, either.

Anyway, this new reaction could have been brought on by something I ate that I didn’t know I was allergic to, or by the workout/massage I did on Monday/Tuesday—my body is detoxing from the reaction and it could have thrown my system into a bit of a relapse.

Either way, I now wait…and eat like my Panther self would eat (my main spirit totem is black panther). And hey, at least I DO have something to eat. A lot of people in this world don’t. And I have no intention on taking anymore chances than I have to with this allergy crap. It’s too fucking scary. Luckily, going low carb for the past 18 months has distanced me from my emotional eating.

Because there’s just no room for that in my life anymore. Period. Done. Finis.

Yasmine

Posted in Food Allergies |

7 Responses so far.

1. jonquil says:

Good luck & heal soonest!

2. Rebecca C. Wright says:

So sorry to hear about another reaction. I hope this get resolved for you as soon as possible.

Bright blessings,
    Rebecca

3. Wynterose says:

I finally got a job and it’s at a place where one of the things they do is deal with adults and children with severe food allergies. They even have a fundraiser for national awareness of food allergies. Next year I’m getting on the bandwagon for that one since I have so many. I still won’t eat in their cafeteria because they serve too many of the foods that I’m allergic too and I’m not certain what is in their basic stock when they have green chili smothered bean burritos. I just need to ask but don’t have time when I only have 30 mins for lunch. Anyways, I digress….I’m glad that you are okay and your personal doctor is staying on top of things for you. We are our own best advocates as it doesn’t always work out that way. I’m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as I know how scary it can be to have severe reactions to foods…..and later found out that part of it was new meds/suppliments causing some of them because they had the allergens in them.

{*hugs*}

4. Ms. Hunts says:

Wow, another reaction so soon? That’s intense. Fortunately, though, you’re right and you do have a few options that are healthy for you.

=^-^=

5. Kathleen says:

My daughter was having tons of abdominal issues and someone recommended a naturopath in Issaquah. He’s fantastic! I didn’t use him to replace her doctor. He worked well with her GP and Gastroenterologist. Anyway, my point is that he sent her blood sample off to a lab in Boston that tests for food sensitivities. She ended up being sensitive to about 30 foods with another 20 foods as potential irritants. It would probably be worth your while to have that test done. Let me know if you’d like his info and good luck!

6. Rose says:

Wow, I feel for you Yasmine. Ugh, and I thought my food allergies were bad. At least you are in an area where you can get Venison, Bison, etc more easily. It’s mucho expensive here.
    Good luck with all of this. I am so sorry you are having so much trouble! Ask your doctor about Tea Seed Oil? I found it at Sur la Table. It is supposed to be the absolute best oil to use and good for people who are going Holistic or Paleo. A friend of mine who had Cancer was recommended using it exclusively for it’s high smoke point, and it’s natural cancer fighting agents.
    I’ll be praying they can help you to balance this issue better.
    Rose

7. Phyrra says:

OMG, they should have warned you about the Prednisone! You have to wean, whether you’re an animal or a human on that. It REALLY can mess you up. I have to keep Phaedra on a low dose of prednisone every other day to work with her DOCP shot since she’s got Addison’s disease. When we first started her on it she had to be on a very high dose but the doctor wanted her to taper it down and said we had to do it very slowly because of bad side effects.

I’m glad you can use olive oil, since it can be used to replace so many things (salad dressing, cooking oil, butter, etc). I will be thinking lots and lots of positive thoughts your way that you will get through this quickly and painlessly.